DCLab mentioned in the Huffington Post, May 3, 2013
eBook Survey Predicts 'Quality' as the Top Factor for 2012
View the survey results and see where the majority of digital publishers will be focusing their efforts in 2012.
White Paper: Multi-channel Publishing for Educational Publishers with DITA
Read Amber Swope's whitepaper on DITA XML
Why Publishers Should Use XML...
See why XML is so versatile, and how it will help all types of publishers.
Since 1981, DCL has serviced an array of clients across the publishing spectrum including educational, financial, legal, reference, associations and STM. Our goal is to provide ongoing efficiency gains and cost savings for our clients in this data-intensive market. We understand that each digitization project has its own unique requirements to which we tailor our solutions. DCL's trained production staff as well as expert project management and client support professionals guarantee outstanding quality, accelerated turnaround (as little as 48 hours) and enhanced ROI.
Mark Gross, DCL President and CEO, is a recognized authority and speaker within the Publishing industry. He also authored the data conversion chapters in Bill Kasdorf's Columbia Guide To Digital Publishing. See what Scott Abel, the Content Wrangler, has to say about DCL's approach online Publishing service.
DCL's experience, superior tool set and proven techniques allow us to move smoothly through every type of project and convert materials (both back-file and ongoing) from any source to any target format including XML, XBRL, EPUB, MOBI, JATS (PubMed Central) which includes NLM for journals and manuscripts, and Bookshelf XML for books. Our combination of data entry and automated process allow us to effectively convert any kind of material including:
- TIFF's, PDF or other digital images
- Other electronic formats
- Author manuscripts
- Research papers
Each project begins with a rigorous planning process including:
- Materials review and evaluation
- Feasibility analysis
- Project concept
- Detailed cost estimate
- Project planning
- Automated Tracking System (ATS) provides continual updated status information on every document assuring reliable on-time delivery
- Automated conversion for all projects ensures reliable consistent output reducing the need for extensive client involvement saving valuable time and resources
- Automated Production Control System (PCS) provides customers with 24/7 status information and extensive report generation via in Internet portal
- Experienced with most foreign languages including Latin based and double-byte characters
- Experienced with Unicode
Composition and Rendering
Rendering is the process by which code is transformed into a publishing format. In traditional publishing, this process is called composition. Ther term rendering, however, is specific to electronic publishing and usually refers to an automated process of taking data and presenting it in a particular format. Rendering and composition processes are required in order to make a document attractive and easy to read. They provide a common look and feel to a document set and also allow for content to be displayed when viewed through different forms (e.g. computer screens, mobile devices, print, etc).
DCL provides rendering and composition services for publishing to PDF or HTML and we can support any source or target DTD. For those clients who prefer a more hands-on approach, DCL also offers rendering and composition software in XSLT and other languages.
NLM XML and Bookshelf XML
PubMed Central and Other Repositories
DCL specializes in the conversion of documents to the PubMed Central Journal Article Tag Suite (JATS) specification for institutional repositories, commercial publishers and association publishers. The JATS specification includes NML XML for journals and manuscripts as well as Bookshelf XML for books. DCL provides conversion of back-files on ongoing projects.
Having documents stored in a single format will be advantageous regardless of your policy... Paid Access, Public Access or Open Access. While documents can be maintained in a number of formats, several other organizations with institutional repositories, have selected XML as their target format. DCL supports conversion services to all formats such as XML, XBRL, EPUB, MOBI and more.
- DCL converts more than 3000 author manuscripts per month for the National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- DCL provides QA and reporting services for other XML submissions to ensure adherence to the NLM DTD
- DCL is the sole vendor to NIH for conversion of books to the NIH Bookshelf DTD
- DCL has converted more than a million pages to NLM XML for Highwire Press
- DCL provides journal conversion to the NIH NLM DTD for publishers worldwide including the US, Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, England, France, Ireland, Italy, Malaysia, New Zealand, Switzerland and Turkey
- DCL is a member of the NIH Technical Advisory Board
NLM Related Services
- DCL Composer: Enables a two-column rendering of manuscripts and journal articles from NLM XML
- LinkOut Support: Enables publishers to link their PubMed deposited materials back to their own websites resulting in increased web traffic
- NLM XML Training: Training for organizations desiring to produce NLM XML in-house or to perform QA on NLM XML files. Service provided on-site or via webinars.
- PubMed Upload: DCL will upload files to PubMed Central or other repository