Government and Defense Industry Services
Learn why the Department of Defense should pursue SGML and XML for their technical content. See how these formats directly contribute to mission readiness and safety.
How Much Does Document Conversion Really Cost?
Learn about the different factors (source, target, type, graphics, revisions, etc.) that go into a conversion project.
Converting Tables to XML: Top 10 Challenges and Pitfalls
Learn about the different types of tables found in publications and how converting them may be a real hassle.
DCL's broad range of conversion services for any and all data and document sets.
Converting to S1000D —
See how DCL can help you with your S1000D conversion project.
Data Conversion Laboratory, Inc. (DCL) brings a wealth of experience in providing document conversion and related services to all branches of the military, civilian and government agencies, municipalities, and county & state offices. Depending on the project specifications, DCL acts either as the prime contractor or as a subcontractor to other prime contractors. DCL's GSA schedule enables any Federal Government employee to utilize our pre-negotiated rates as a contracting means for conversion work. Please reference GSA schedule # GS-25F-0102M.
For the US Military, DCL has extensive experience converting military technical manuals to SGML and XML-based Military Standards such as MIL-STD-3001, MIL-STD-38784, NAVSEA Class 2 (C2), USMC V1 and MIL-STD-2361 (2361 A, 2361 B, 2361 C and 2361 A CECOM Variant). Projects include:
- Air Force — B1 and B52 bombers, F16 fighter, KC-135 tanker and the IFF Transponder Set along with a significant volume of Commodity manuals.
- Army — Blackhawk and CH-47 helicopters, Patriot Missile, Multiple Launch Rocket System, Bradley Tank and LCU-2000 Watercraft, among others.
- Marines — Their entire inventory of land-based Technical Manuals.
- Navy — Missile Assistance Program (MAP) and Seahawk Helicopter. H-1 and E-2C manuals for NAVAIR. Hull and mechanical manuals for NAVSEA. Additional manuals for NAVFAC and SPAWAR.
DCL has in-depth experience converting to the S1000D specification. This includes projects for:
- ADL (Advanced Distributed Learning) — Xerox documents S1000D/Scorm Conversion Pilot
- FAA — DCL performed a significant conversion of FAA technical manuals
- Office of the Secretary of Defense — Multi-phased T700 Conversion Pilot
DCL also has performed extensive conversion work for civilian agencies such as the FDA, NASA, the Library of Congress, the Smithsonian Institution, and the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Typical projects include:
Library of Congress:
- American Memories Collection (7-year project)
- United States Constitution and related rulings into SGML
National Institutes of Health:
- Primary vendor converting author manuscripts for the Congressional Open Access Initiative
- Textbooks for The National Center for Biotechnology Information
- XML QA and journal evaluation for PubMed Central
As a measure of its recognized data conversion expertise within the Government, Military and Civilian government complex, DCL has spoken at government-related conferences such as JCALS, AFEI, Marines Tri-Serves IETM, AIA Tri-Services, Naval WEB/IETM Conference, The NASA/FAA Operating Documents Workshop, CENDI, CSUN, FOSI and STINFO.
Data Conversion Laboratory is pleased to announce the award of its Federal Government General Services Administration ("GSA") Schedule. The GSA schedule enables any Federal Government employee to utilize the pre-negotiated rates as a contracting means for conversion work. DCL's GSA schedule number is GS-25F-0102M
DCL converts every type of information from all major word processing, typesetting, document formats ...and paper. We create XML, SGML, HTML, and all other structured formats. Our services include:
- Adaptable software to support recurring data streams and content reuse
- Content Harmonization software to identify reusable text across large content collections
- Expertise with both structural and content-based DTDs and a wide variety of DTDs and schemas
- Expertise with DITA, S1000D, OeB, and other specialized DTDs
- Legacy conversion of paper, PDF, and electronic source formats to SGML/XML
- Management of large-scale, multi-vendor conversions
- Simultaneous conversion to multiple DTDs and schemas
- Upgrading SGML and XML to new enhanced schemas and DTDs
DCL employs a US-based project management team and maintains long-term strategic relationships with facilities on four continents providing support services for high-volume data-entry and data-processing services. Our familiarity with the complex technical documentation typically characterized by elaborate tables, equations, cross-referencing, special characters, footnotes and atypical imaging requirements ensures that no project is beyond our capabilities. DCL's data harmonization software eliminates duplication and identifies near duplicates in archives of letters, allowing experts to create a standardized response system for future letters. DCL can adapt and modify its proprietary software to manage any data set, using an automated approach to produce an uncompromisingly consistent end product. With DCL's extensive project management and quality control, you don't expend internal resources to fix the data later. We get it right ...every time.